Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Penguin on skates
1 White tight coil (48”) wrapped in black for body
4 Black crescents (3”) for back of penguin
1 White tight coil (24”) wrapped in black for head
2 Yellow crescents (2”) for feet
2 Green (.5”) curled at one end for skates
1 Red bunny ear (3”) for hat
1 Green strip (1”) fringed for pom on hat
1 Yellow tiny strip folded for beak
Arrange as shown
Saturday, December 1, 2012
I haven’t been doing much quilling lately. I’ve been having “issues” with my neck, shoulder, and arm; partially due to an accident I was involved in over the summer and I think the hand is starting to wear out. Next week I am going to try acupuncture; I’m keeping my fingers (on the other hand) crossed. But when I got some new papers in I decided to play a little. We finally got a terracotta color in which made me decide to do a little flower pot treasure box. The flowers on the top are all done with our new translucent vellum strips. I found them easy to work with and love the colors. I did have a little trouble fringing them; I think they are probably too smooth for the fringer to grab them and feed them through. What I did to solve that challenge was put a regular strip of quilling paper on top of the vellum strip and feed them both through at the same time . . . perfect!
Friday, November 16, 2012
In example #2, I crimped and then rolled a full 12” strip for the center. I alternated 6” strips cut from a yellow dark center strip for a different look.
In example #5, I used the whole 12” strip of graduated (light to dark) and made eccentric teardrops for petals. I used one of the template boards to keep the shapes uniform. The leaf was a 12” strip of dark center green which I made into a eccentric shaped teardrop.
In example #6, I made one of my favorite shapes for graduated strips. Staring at the light end of the strip, I combined a wheat ear with alternate side looping. Each petal took the whole 12” strip. The leaves are a smaller version using 6”.
Example # 7; these are two fringed flowers using the whole 12” strip. One is done starting with the light end of graduated paper, the second is done using dark center paper. I used ¼” wide strips for these.
These are just a few thought starters for those of you who may not have tried these papers yet. If you are not familiar with the wheatears and alternate side looping techniques, just click the link.
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
I don’t usually do much 3-D quilling, but here is a fun little pumpkin that would make a cute seasonal party favor or table decoration. It is about 11/2” wide and tall and is really easy to make. I used 15 full strips of orange paper for each half of the pumpkin. Start by making a tight roll and then as you roll add one strip at a time until all 15 are rolled. Gently push the center out until you get the shape you want. You can do this with your fingers or you can use one of the molds available for this purpose. Repeat to make the second half of the pumpkin. Coat the inside of both halves with glue to make them firm. Measure a strip of 1/4” paper to fit inside the top half of the pumpkin. Glue the strip as shown so the top will “fit” the bottom and not slide off. Make a tight roll of 1/8” paper for stem (I used 1 ½”) You can add a couple of tendrils using 1/16” strips. You can leave the pumpkin as is or add some eyes, nose, & mouth for Halloween.
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Hearts seem to be very popular, the K364 Nothing but Hearts kit I designed for Paplin is one of their best selling kits. Since we are already half way through January, I thought a Valentine card would be timely. Because I planned to use a corner border punch, I trimmed the white base greeting card down to 4”x 5”. (The corner/border combo punches are designed to line up with whole inches rather than fractions.) I cut a 4” x 5”pink rectangle and used the Framed in Love corner border combo punch to create the border and attached it to the card. I use the Dotto removable adhesive because it is dry as well as repositional and doesn’t leave any “wet” glue marks on the paper. I then cut 3 full strips in half, creating six 12” strips/. I folded all six strips in half using the fold as the point of my heart. I then shaped the six strips into a heart shape (I held the heart with a tweezer while I put a tiny bead of glue on the back and then placed it on the card.)
I made the basic flowers on a work board first so I would be able to place them where I wanted them in the heart. I made two red 1” tight rolls for the centers and then made 12 white 6” marquises for petals. I then wrapped each white petal in red paper and glued them around the center. Once the flowers were dry I lifted them off the work board and glued them onto the card. I made 12 white 6” open hearts which I glued between the flower petals.
I cut two green short lengths (about ¾”) which I shaped into the stems. I made four green 6” marquises for leaves, two 3” open coils and two 1 ½” open coils which I glued to the stems.