Meet Pat

Video (Meet Pat) -

Friday, July 23, 2010

The End of an Era (Quilling)

The End of an Era (Quilling)

I am always glad to meet new quilling friends; through Whimsiquills I meet so many more than I would have otherwise. Yesterday I had a rather poignant phone “visit” with a quiller named Jeanne who lives in Vermont. She learned to quill in 1972 when her sister-in-law who was from Vietnam came for a visit, she had been taught to quill by French nuns. Jeanne told me that the two of them sat cross-legged on her bed while her sister-in-law gave her a needle and a tiny strip of paper and told her she was going to teach her to “filigree”. She was immediately hooked (as so many of us are), she packed away her knitting needles and crochet hooks and concentrated on quilling. She loved doing miniature plants and flowers. Over the years, as she raised her four children, she enjoyed making them so much that she ended up selling them at craft shows, as she said to get them out of the house.

Sadly, she is now experiencing problems with her vision and arthritis in her right hand and is no longer able to quill. She called me to ask if I would be able to help her find someone who might be interested in buying her supplies . . . this has been a tough decision for her. She has been holding on to these supplies in the hope that she will be able to quill again. She shared with me that each time she has tried to quill; her efforts have brought her to tears. It is now time to pass these things on to someone else, whom will experience the same pleasure from using them. She doesn’t want to put them up on EBay, but wants them to go to someone who will actually use them.

Included in the supplies are at least 50 packages of strips, tools, work board, and some old kits. Some of these are vintage papers and I am sure, include colors that are no longer available. If you or someone you know would enjoy having Jeanne’s quilling supplies, you may contact Jeanne directly. You can email her at amahjeanne@gmail.com or phone her at 802 773 5030.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

How sad for Jeanne that she must give up something so special in her life. I think it is wonderful that she wants the quilling items to go to a person who will actually use them! I'm not in a position to buy them right now, but I know the person who does will be very pleased.

Fairy Cardmaker, Lisa said...

I'm sorry to hear that about your friend. I will speak to my crafty friends to see if anyone is interested!

ana @ i made it so said...

this is so sweet and heartbreaking. jeanne, i'm sure your creativity brought joy to many, if not just to yourself, for all the years. i bet you could teach us all so much.